No BS Essential Tools List (If You Have A Completely Empty Kitchen)
People get completely carried away with outfitting their kitchen. I have moved apartments 6 times in 11 years and below is my go-to list. This is based on years of experience as a chef (in a former life) but also the Pareto or 80/20 principle ie. 80% of dishes can be made with 20% of the equipment.
We independently review everything we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
2 Things To Remember:
- Most easy dishes are either made on the stovetop in a pot or pan or roasted in the oven on a sheet pan.
- Most kitchen devices are overpriced or made up by kitchen company’s marketing departments to sell you something you don’t need.
Where Do I Shop?
I go to the nearest commercial restaurant supply store and buy Winco or Winware (a restaurant staple) as it is cheap and the quality is good enough.
- 10" or 12" inch pan
- 1/2 baking sheet
- 16 or 20 Qt. Heavy Bottom Stock Pot (Big enough to boil water, make soup and braise stuff) WITH LID
- Medium Metal Mixing Bowl — Pro Tip: If it’s the same diameter as your frying pan you can actually use as a lid.
- Box Cheese Grater
- Yellow Handle Chefs Knife
- Swiss Peeler
- Silicone Spatula
- Wooden Spoon
Worth the investment:
If you want to go ultra minimalist you can roast in the 12" inch skillet, use a fork for whisking tasks and use a silicone spatula for wooden spoon tasks. Honestly, you can cook most dishes with a pot, a pan and a knife and some resourcefulness.